Good bread, good olive oil – what more could you want? Just two things: very red, ripe Canarian tomatoes and basil leaves.
6 or 7 ripe tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 baguette or similar bread
1/4 cup olive oil
- Prepare the tomatoes first by standing them for one minute in boiling water. Drain. Using a sharp knife, remove the skins. Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and cut out and discard the stem area.
- Turn on the oven to preheat.
- Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, and vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Coat both sides with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place on a baking tray and toast until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
- Place the bread on a serving plate and place some topping on each slice of bread and serve. Do it right before serving or the bread may get soggy.