One of the best known Canarian dishes is “papas arrugadas” which are potatoes boiled in salt and water. There are many ways to “wrinkle” potatoes I think this is one of the simplest.
1 kg potatoes
250 gr salt
- Put the unpeeled potatoes in a large pan and fill with enough water to cover them.
- For every kilogram of potatoes add a quarter of a kilogram of salt – it doesn’t matter if you put in more, as the potatoes absorb only what is necessary.
- Put the pan on the heat and cover with a lid.
- Boil the potatoes for twenty minutes or so, until they are cooked.
- Pour away the water and drain the potatoes well.
- Without removing from the pan, pour another good puñado or handful of salt over the potatoes and dry over the heat shaking the pot and tossing the potatoes for a little while or ratito as we say on the island.