I received a message from a lady and although we speak regularly on a forum we have not met. She comes to the island each year and while she is here ‘goes native’ so the subject of our last correspondence was a phone number to have water delivered where she is staying rather than lugging around huge 8 litre bottles. To get to the point I am copying part of Lorna’s message to me as I tried the recipe and it is delicious so thought I would share.
>>> On the subject of healthy things I must give you my granola recipe I would like to make it when I get to Tenerife as it makes loads but hopefully I can buy porridge oats there?
- About 3 mugs of porridge oats (not microwave)
- As much as you like of chopped apricots, chopped nuts, sultanas, dried cranberries, desiccated coconut and the grated rind of an orange.
- Put in a large bowl and mix with about a cup of apple juice, I use a small carton.
- Spread out on a baking tray and cook in a low oven for about 20 minutes.
- Stir it about half way through
- When you take it out it will still be soft but it hardens when it cools.
It is lovely sprinkled over fresh fruit salad with some of the large Mercadona papaya yogurt.
As you know I can´t stick to any recipe so I also added the following because I like a nutty, salty taste – if you want a crispy crunchy granola follow Lorna Alexander’s recipe, if you want a slightly different type of flap jack, then do as I did and add ….
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
2 oz peanut butter