Following the success of my friend Alan Rigby’s recipe for Stuffed Chicken with Bacon he’s been at it again, but this time stuffing mushrooms.
These little beauties are absolutely delicious. They are stuffed with cream cheese and bacon, a match made in mushroom heaven if there ever was one.
I like to use button mushrooms for appetisers, that’s the whole point of “finger food” to eat it with your fingers. However larger mushrooms are less fiddly as an accompanying vegetable and these can be made in advance and we LOVE things that can be made ahead of time!
4 large mushrooms
1 small sweet onion
1 pack smoked bacon lardons
1 pack Philadelphia with Chives
Garlic to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180˚
- In a frying pan, over medium heat, cook bacon until nice and crispy. (Alan cooked his with his onions but I like mine crispy)
- While bacon is cooking, remove mushroom stems from caps and chop into small pieces
- When bacon is done, remove from pan and set aside; reserve 1 tablespoons of bacon fat and sauté the onion until soft about 5 minutes, scraping up any brown bits on bottom of pan. Add chopped mushrooms stems and garlic and cook a few minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, add the cream cheese and stir.
- Stuff each mushroom cap generously with mixture. Bake for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and filling is nice and hot.
Mixture can be made, cooled, and stored, covered, in the fridge for up to two days.
Serve as Alan did with chicken and potato gratin Yummy!