Do not forget your EHIC

Your holidays are booked and you are looking forward to the adventure, but what if you suddenly need medical help.

Don’t forget as an EU citizen, (at least for the time being) if you unexpectedly fall ill during a temporary stay in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland you are entitled to any medical treatment that can’t wait until you get home. However, you must have your EHIC with you – no excuse it is FREE.

There are, however, a couple of things you need to be aware of.

Children need to have their own EHICs when travelling. You can make an application on your child’s behalf and they will receive their own card.

Are you planning a cruise? Then the EHIC won’t cover you on the cruise ship, so it’s important for you to take out private travel insurance before you go. If, however, you stay in accommodation on land while you’re in an EEA country you’ll be covered for any treatment you need during that part of your stay.

Some unofficial websites will charge you for ordering your EHIC. I recommend you do it yourself, as it is very easy. Order your free EHIC directly through the NHS Choices website: HERE and don’t pay any unnecessary fees.

This entry was posted in Living on Tenerife and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.